and then the world stopped turning
Tales from the Mall, Part 2. (This may be old news to everyone else, but it was news to me.)
During my fruitless shopping trip to the mall last night, out of desperation I stumbled into The Gap store. I did my usual walk-through, thinking to myself "My gawd these clothes all look so tiny!", and despairing in the fact that I seem to be lost in some sort of Generation Gap of Fashion (no pun intended)...too old for Hot Topic, Abercrombie and American Eagle, and too...uh...immature? for (most of) the Misses Department at Macy's. I've analyzed this problem at great length over the years and determined that the root of the problem is really *shoes*, and the fact that I must have been standing in the wrong line when God was passing out whatever gene makes other women go crazy over them, because I just-don't-get-it. And of course there is the lingering tomboy in me who is perfectly contented to wear jeans and t-shirts for the rest of my life, but I digress... Anyway, as I was leaving The Gap, I look up, and there on the wall was this GREAT BIG picture of Alanis Morissette, wearing Gap jeans, with a tag line that read, "Favorite Jeans: Curvy Flair" (see here). I could not believe my eyes! What happened to "Thank you India...Thank you Providence"? I literally had to walk out of the store and back in again to do a double-take. I felt compelled to snap a photo of the blasphemous billboard to post here, but I feared the Gap police might think I was committing some sort of act of industrial espionage, so after walking in and out of the store twice, I chickened out ("...I'm brave but I'm chickenshit..."). In her defense, I read the following on-line this morning: "Alanis Morissette spoke with Spin magazine for their March issue where they quizzed her on why she did the ad for the Gap. Morissette responded, "My initial response when they called was, 'What about sweatshops, and why would I do a Gap ad?' They said my payment would go to a charity of my choice, and immediately I went, 'Oooh.' And then they said it was going to be a Supertramp song, and the theme of the commercial would be the encouragement of generosity and contributing. Then they said that Liz Phair and Macy Gray were doing it, and I love those guys. After investigating about sweatshops, I decided to do it." However, I still say... Sellout. [Edit: I just realized that that quote was from March 2002...just after her 2001 holiday Gap ad... (gasp!)...so this is her 2nd ad. Commercials will begin airing next month. Someone shoot me.]
During my fruitless shopping trip to the mall last night, out of desperation I stumbled into The Gap store. I did my usual walk-through, thinking to myself "My gawd these clothes all look so tiny!", and despairing in the fact that I seem to be lost in some sort of Generation Gap of Fashion (no pun intended)...too old for Hot Topic, Abercrombie and American Eagle, and too...uh...immature? for (most of) the Misses Department at Macy's. I've analyzed this problem at great length over the years and determined that the root of the problem is really *shoes*, and the fact that I must have been standing in the wrong line when God was passing out whatever gene makes other women go crazy over them, because I just-don't-get-it. And of course there is the lingering tomboy in me who is perfectly contented to wear jeans and t-shirts for the rest of my life, but I digress... Anyway, as I was leaving The Gap, I look up, and there on the wall was this GREAT BIG picture of Alanis Morissette, wearing Gap jeans, with a tag line that read, "Favorite Jeans: Curvy Flair" (see here). I could not believe my eyes! What happened to "Thank you India...Thank you Providence"? I literally had to walk out of the store and back in again to do a double-take. I felt compelled to snap a photo of the blasphemous billboard to post here, but I feared the Gap police might think I was committing some sort of act of industrial espionage, so after walking in and out of the store twice, I chickened out ("...I'm brave but I'm chickenshit..."). In her defense, I read the following on-line this morning: "Alanis Morissette spoke with Spin magazine for their March issue where they quizzed her on why she did the ad for the Gap. Morissette responded, "My initial response when they called was, 'What about sweatshops, and why would I do a Gap ad?' They said my payment would go to a charity of my choice, and immediately I went, 'Oooh.' And then they said it was going to be a Supertramp song, and the theme of the commercial would be the encouragement of generosity and contributing. Then they said that Liz Phair and Macy Gray were doing it, and I love those guys. After investigating about sweatshops, I decided to do it." However, I still say... Sellout. [Edit: I just realized that that quote was from March 2002...just after her 2001 holiday Gap ad... (gasp!)...so this is her 2nd ad. Commercials will begin airing next month. Someone shoot me.]


3 Comments:
[Head held high]... I haven't been to a mall since going to see the Easter Bunny. For the children, of course.
Yes... total sellout. Add this with her marketing partnership with Anti-Christ, Inc., aka, Starbucks, and you can only come to that conclusion.
I need a moment to deliberate.
I must have sucked up all the shoe genes before Mom created you. I’ve bought as many as 15 pair in a month. I buy them as souvenirs when I travel and name them.
On the frumpy clothes that we in the (ah-hem) 40 something generation are supposed to wear, what IS up with that? Exactly what age group are these designers and buyers marketing to? I also can’t quite seem to get the whole second hand *vintage look working for me.
On selling out: I do it so I can't judge it. If it pays I am the first one to lay my values aside. Alanis probably said, "they'll pay me what???" not to mention all the s.w.a.g.
P.S. Have you tried the Starbucks Green Tea Frap? OMG
Post a Comment
<< Home