I received the following email late last night. The subject line of the message was simply "hello", and even though I was sure it was most likely spam, curiosity got the better of me so I decided to open it anyway:
"I hope i do not intrude here and step over the boundary. I think about you at times and wonder how life is passing through you, been a long time. But if no reply, I would wish that you are well and still perspicacious and show that smile... Tom from 2001"
My immediate reaction: "yup, I was right...spam". Followed by a momentary flash of ego: "hmm... Tom... from 2001... where was I in 2001? Did I meet someone named Tom in 2001?" And then: "perspicacious? is that a real word?" A quick hop over to Dictionary.com gave me the following:
per·spi·ca·cious ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pûrsp-kshs) adj.
Having or showing penetrating mental discernment; clear-sighted. See Synonyms at shrewd.
And then a little more ego (like when you're reading a horoscope, and even though you don't -really- believe in such things, the description just seems to fit): "wow.....I think *I* have penetrating mental discernment..." (heheh) and of course anyone who knows me knows that I have "that smile". *grin* By this time I was completely amusing myself (and yes, I was certain that this is -not- someone who knows me, in case you're wondering). His email address was a Yahoo address, complete with first-initial, last-name, followed by a two-digit number...and even though the text of the email reads as if it were originally written in another language and then computer-translated to English, I decided to look him up on Yahoo, to see if there might be a real profile out there. Alas, there was not (not that I would have contacted him anyway), although a quick Google vanity-search did turn up a name or two, associated oddly with a couple of horticulture sites. My mind can romanticize just about anything, so as I logged off for the night, I drifted off to sleep with thoughts of Tom, this solitary stranger, toiling away the wee hours in his rose garden, longing to make contact with a special someone from his past, and sadly never knowing that the letter had not reached its intended recipient.
And perhaps a small secret wish that the letter really was intended for me... :)
2 Comments:
At least he didn't Photoshop his head onto the body of a young man in a wetsuit to impress you or direct you to a member page with a full frontal first impression.
I bet he is "for real" and just got the wrong person, left off someone else's number before the @ sign. Write him back but leave off your name.
I know I speak for the majority of the world when I say I hope you find your "Tom". Someone to contemplate you while he tends his rose garden (metaphor?). He'll probably write you some sappy poetry. He'll love the things you love if for no other reason than because you love them. (Even if he's allergic to cats.) You'll have him at "hello". He'll smile when he thinks of your smile, or how your eyes turn violet when you cry (only tears of joy, he hopes).
Keep your hopes up, sweet crusader. You'll find your Tom.
Post a Comment
<< Home