Monday, August 08, 2005

television without pity

A new school year is just around the corner and I am reminded that a new season of television is about to start again. It’s funny, a few years ago I didn’t watch much television; in fact, at the time I prided myself (pffft...for whatever reason) on the fact that I only watched one half-hour sitcom per week (“Seinfeld”). That was, until a dear friend of mine seduced me into watching the series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Like some kind of tv-crack-dealer he would come into my office each week and tell me stories of the ongoing unrequited-love triangle of Buffy, Xander and Willow. It wasn't long before I was hooked. BTVS was the “gateway drug” which eventually led to my current tv-watching addiction. Next it was Dawson’s Creek, and then, when summer came, the short-lived Young Americans (anybody remember that one?). Then Ally McBeal, Popular, and the Gilmore Girls, just to name a few. Now I have become the tv-crack-dealer, and so not only am I hooked, but I feel compelled to seek out and seduce others as well. It's just that I am so enthralled that I want everyone else to feel-what-I-feel. My current list of must-see-tv includes:

  • Lost (thank god for Tivo, because you simply have to watch this show a couple of times to catch everything)
  • Desperate Housewives (wickedly funny--those who aren't watching don't know what they're missing)
  • Boston Legal (I've had an obsession with James Spader since Sex, Lies and Videotape, and ohmigod, William Shatner's "Denny Crane!" is hysterical)
  • Gilmore Girls (I don't just love them -- I want to move to Stars Hollow and be one of them)
  • Scrubs (Zach Braff. 'nuff said.)
  • Grey's Anatomy (I didn't plan on liking this one, but it's been surprisingly good so far)

I'm sure I'm probably leaving some out, and there will be more added as the new season gets underway. I had high hopes for Starved (that it would be somewhere along the lines of Fat Actress, which is oh so crude, but I have that kind of sense of humor), but the pilot fell a little flat with me. I've read that the second and third episodes are supposed to be better, so we'll see.

So before I commence working on my tv-watching matrix, tell me...what will you be watching this season?

6 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Okay... I feel better now. :)

08 August, 2005 12:52  
Blogger joe said...

You forgot Nip/Tuck, my personal favorite of guilty pleasures. As for the ones that are much better than most people realize... ya i watch Lost, Desperate Housewives, Deadwood, the L Word, and Six Feet Under.

09 August, 2005 01:00  
Blogger John said...

JJ Abrams had me at hello. First he did Felicity, then Alias, and finally Lost. My suspicion is he's pouring all of his efforts into Lost now (and just phoning it in for Alias). Alias is not on my Must See list anymore. :( I have been picking up a few other stray shows during the off season. CSI and the ilk. "House" has a good set up (characters and their back stories). We'll have to wait and see if they can produce enough variation on their tehme to stay captivating. And if there is not too much conflict in scheduling in the new season. :|

So much television, so little time.

09 August, 2005 08:44  
Blogger Lunafish said...

This makes me realize what a commitment-fobe I am. I drop in from time to time and catch an episode of Lost, Scrubs or Desperate. I must be in the mini-series phase of life as I did watch "Revelations" "Out West" "Warm Springs" and am about to embark on "Rome"
When they killed "Sex in the City" and now "Six Feet Under" that has done me in.

09 August, 2005 08:48  
Blogger my imperfect offering said...

Doh! I'm missing out on so many good ones on HBO and Showtime, but I fear that in subscribing to Premium channels, I may never leave my house. Bad enough already with just Tivo....

09 August, 2005 21:22  
Blogger Lunafish said...

I might give this one a try.
Invasion. Airs: Wednesday 10:00 PM on ABC (60 mins) New Series
Premieres September 21, 2005
Am I the only sci-fi affectionado in the crowd?

10 August, 2005 07:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home