Monday, November 28, 2005

it's the little things

How could I forget one of the biggest highlights of my trip?! On Friday morning we drove one of my brother-in-laws to the airport in Tulsa (about an hour away), which gave us the opportunity to dine at one of our favorite (and badly-missed) fast-food restaurants, Taco Bueno! We gorged ourselves on burritoes and tacos until we couldn't eat any more. YUM! (Pretty decadent after eating a big Thanksgiving meal the day before, huh? Anyone else feeling like a big Butterball this week?) ;)
I was recently watching an episode of King of the Hill and in one scene there was a Taco Bueno restaurant in the background. This made me smile, realizing that anyone who had not spent much time in Texas (which is where I'm from) would probably not notice it. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoy that show so much...there are so many elements just like that, little "Texas-isms" that wouldn't be obvious to the casual observer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

I didn't know you were from Texas! Man, I miss Taco Bueno! I forgot all about it. Also, that King of the Hill picture is funny because when I was growing up, going to Luby's was like a fancy treat! Also missed: Whataburger and Sonic. My first job was at Sonic. Roller-skating carhop. Those were the days.

28 November, 2005 18:46  
Blogger my imperfect offering said...

Yeah, remember what a treat it was not only getting to go to Luby's, but then getting to choose a dessert as well?! Big times! :)

We don't have Whatburger here in Georgia (and funny, now that you mention Whataburger, my family used to tease me because my first "date" was at a Whataburger--4th grade--not a real date, of course. I was so shy that I wouldn't even eat. heheh) We do have Sonic though. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how often we go there. heheheh

28 November, 2005 20:04  
Blogger Lunafish said...

That is funny. I was just watching King of the Hill tonight and Chris asked me if there really is an Arlen Texas. You know that the character LuAnne Platter (Brittany Murphy) was named after the famous dinner plate from Luby's, haha.
I love Taco Bueno and I went there the day after Thanksgiving for a Beef Nacho Salad.

28 November, 2005 21:13  
Blogger Richard said...

Since Thanksgiving in Canada is about 6 weeks earlier than in the United States, we get a little more time to recover before stuffing ourselves some more at Christmas.

Of course, we also keep healthy by indulging in well balanced foods like poutine and Jos. Louis.

29 November, 2005 15:06  
Blogger John said...

My heroes have always been propane and propane accessories salemen.

30 November, 2005 07:11  
Blogger ian006 said...

JESUS CHRIST i miss Taco Bueno...

...party burritos...

::sigh::

02 December, 2005 18:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home