self-amusement
"Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they will never cease to be amused." ~Unknown
In spite of the computer problems, I did enjoy a couple of good laughs at myself this weekend. The first was yesterday evening, when Macy and I went to see Saw 2. Just as the movie was about to start, a couple and their little son (who appeared to be about 3-years old and was wearing a mohawk) came in and sat
down on one of the front rows. Macy noticed and pointed them out to me, and then we both looked at each other like, "WTF?" So I sat there, shaking my head a little in bewilderment at why anyone would bring a 3-year old to an R-rated horror movie like Saw 2 (and remembering how grisly the first Saw movie was). But after a few moments of silent judging, I had to laugh at myself as I recalled a certain someone (me) whose little mullet-wearing 4-year-old son loved the Nightmare on Elm Street movies back in the late-80's. Oh, forgive us young parents, we know not what we do! heheh (You'll be relieved to know that as I matured, so did my parenting style, and I'd like to think that my son made it through relatively unscathed. And besides, we come from a long line of horror-movie enthusiasts.)
My second moment of amusement was last night, as I was heading downstairs to our basement. Every since the dreaded mouse incident, I am imagining mice at every turn. I am afraid to go into the basement
(which, by the way, is a completely "finished" basement...berber carpet, painted walls, not that much different than the rest of the house), and I won't go down there without taking my cat Tiki, the great mouse-hunter, with me. And then when I do, I creep around every corner, turning on lights and making noise as I go...you'd think I am expecting rabid wolverines to be down there! Now, I suppose being afraid of mice isn't all that unusual, but it is a little funny considering that I had a 6-foot boa constrictor named Alice (pictured here) as a pet when I was 18-years old, along with several other snakes and a couple of small alligators (caimans)...and that Alice's diet consisted of live rats which I had to personally procure and deliver to her each week.
Yeah, I guess you could say I've changed quite a bit in some ways. :)
In spite of the computer problems, I did enjoy a couple of good laughs at myself this weekend. The first was yesterday evening, when Macy and I went to see Saw 2. Just as the movie was about to start, a couple and their little son (who appeared to be about 3-years old and was wearing a mohawk) came in and sat
down on one of the front rows. Macy noticed and pointed them out to me, and then we both looked at each other like, "WTF?" So I sat there, shaking my head a little in bewilderment at why anyone would bring a 3-year old to an R-rated horror movie like Saw 2 (and remembering how grisly the first Saw movie was). But after a few moments of silent judging, I had to laugh at myself as I recalled a certain someone (me) whose little mullet-wearing 4-year-old son loved the Nightmare on Elm Street movies back in the late-80's. Oh, forgive us young parents, we know not what we do! heheh (You'll be relieved to know that as I matured, so did my parenting style, and I'd like to think that my son made it through relatively unscathed. And besides, we come from a long line of horror-movie enthusiasts.)My second moment of amusement was last night, as I was heading downstairs to our basement. Every since the dreaded mouse incident, I am imagining mice at every turn. I am afraid to go into the basement
(which, by the way, is a completely "finished" basement...berber carpet, painted walls, not that much different than the rest of the house), and I won't go down there without taking my cat Tiki, the great mouse-hunter, with me. And then when I do, I creep around every corner, turning on lights and making noise as I go...you'd think I am expecting rabid wolverines to be down there! Now, I suppose being afraid of mice isn't all that unusual, but it is a little funny considering that I had a 6-foot boa constrictor named Alice (pictured here) as a pet when I was 18-years old, along with several other snakes and a couple of small alligators (caimans)...and that Alice's diet consisted of live rats which I had to personally procure and deliver to her each week.Yeah, I guess you could say I've changed quite a bit in some ways. :)


9 Comments:
I did NOT have a mullet. My hair *appeared* slightly longer in the back because of the way I walked...thats all...
I'm sure you're right...that couldn't have been a mullet. ;)
I was there. We all had mullets. I've got the photos to prove it.
Weird what we are afraid of. For me, it is spiders. Snakes have never been a problem. When the cat brings one in, I just throw it out the front door.
I love to watch Lord of the Rings but I get very creeped out with the giant spider, same with Harry Potter. Something about all of those hairy legs.
The original Nightmare was so scary. I own it on VHS and watch it every now and then to see Depp of course. So how was Saw2? Better than 1? Worth seeing or wait to rent?
"I'd like to think that my son made it through relatively unscathed."
I'd like to think I'm rich and good looking. ;-)
keyword: relatively
And, uh, bummer for you. ;)
I hate to admit this: I took Brittany to see Natural Born Killers when it came out. I had not seen the previews. Eeeek.
"I'd like to think I'm rich and good looking. ;-) "
And I'd like to think someday I may have a cubicle with a window.
So much for wishful thinking, eh?
Having kids young gives us lots of material to laugh about later!! And thank gawd we're laughting instead of crying. It just goes to show you that it's pretty hard to screw them up too badly!
My son had a mullet, too! I am still waiting for the therapy bills.
Hmmm ... I had to go look up what a mullet was. Nope I never had one.
On the other hand, I have had the same hairstyle for 39 years graying, but not any thinner).
Ian, not only do I have a cubicle with a window, I have a cubicle with a view.
Post a Comment
<< Home