Friday, October 14, 2005

engineer humor

You know you're a geek when...

On my way to my desk this morning, I passed by a table in the hallway on which there was an assortment of small packages of candy corn and other baked goods for sale. The sign read "Mil Spec Calorie Enhancers, 50ยข". I found that rather funny. :)

(I would have snagged a photo of it since a picture is worth a thousand words, but cameras are a big no-no here.)

9 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Dooce alert!

14 October, 2005 09:28  
Blogger John said...

I got the military specification compliant chocolate donut. Mmmmm... donuts.

14 October, 2005 09:36  
Blogger ian006 said...

......?

14 October, 2005 10:16  
Blogger my imperfect offering said...

Silly me...I forget the non-engineer types who might not get this. ;)

From Wikipedia:
MIL-STD (Military-Standard) or MIL-SPEC (Military-Specifications) is an abbreviation used to describe an item that can meet standards determined by the United States Department of Defense.

A MIL-STD can also be documentation which lists and explains a compilation of prerequisites and standards that an item must meet for DoD acceptance.

For example, a MIL-STD can be expressed as MIL-STD-X, in which the "X" is a set of numbers or numbers and letters which designate a specific standard.

I know...more than you ever wanted to know. ;)

14 October, 2005 10:27  
Blogger ian006 said...

Wow. You and John redefine cool. Make sure I get an invite to the next party or trekky convention or whatever :)

14 October, 2005 13:42  
Blogger John said...

Ouch!

14 October, 2005 14:03  
Blogger Lunafish said...

Of course, I just Google'ed it.
Military Candy Corn, seems like a government plot.
Duhr...does this mean I still don't get it?

15 October, 2005 08:50  
Blogger Richard said...

Working for a defense contractor, I am very familiar with mil-spec and all else military. Sometimes the dry technical words can be humorous - but, mostly, they are just dry and exceedingly dull. yawn.

At this point in my life, I do not need calorie enhancers (mil-spec or not).

16 October, 2005 18:47  
Blogger my imperfect offering said...

I work for a defense contractor too. One more thing in common. :)

(I guess that group was trying to have fun with the dry, technical words. I see many humorous signs hanging outside of their area as I walk past in the mornings.)

16 October, 2005 19:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home