they call me Wonder Woman!
As in, "I wonder what the hell she was thinking?!!" Because today is Halloween, I decided at the last moment that I would take the day off of work. I envisioned a leisurely day of light housekeeping and errand-running in preparation for the annual "potluck" party that will take place in our cul-de-sac later this evening. Oh, how wrong could I be! My 14-year-old daughter Macy had not planned to dress up this year, that is until 9:00pm last night while we were at Walmart (my least favorite place on earth...*shudder*) picking up last minute Halloween supplies. And of course, if you knew Macy, you would know that picking out something easy like an already-made costume simply would not do. So after an hour of listening to me protest, we left the store with one McCall's pattern for a Cinderella dress and an armload of fabric, armed with the knowledge that we must possess some kind of mad sewing skills, what with our 2 days worth of mother-daughter sewing classes! So Macy was up until the wee hours cutting and sewing and so far she has managed to make...the top part of the dress (bodice, no sleeves). As she was leaving for school this morning, I took pity on her and said, "Hey Macy, if you show me any of the easy parts you have left, I could sew them for you while you're at school." In my mind I fantasized that she would come home from school this afternoon to find a beautiful Cinderella gown finished and hanging on a hangar, with bluebirds singing while flying around in little circles over our heads. Well that brings me to the "I wonder what the hell I was thinking" part. What a nightmare...the fabric...the pinning...the cutting...the bleeding...and I have no idea how to make a bobbin on her machine. Argh. In addition to the sewing project, I have to go out and comb the city searching for a black long-sleeved leotard and black leggings because, according to my other daughter, the Cat-in-the-Hat simply cannot wear a black long-sleeved t-shirt and black tights, "OH NO, HE CAN NOT". (Okay, that probably sounded better in the Cat-in-the-Hat voice that I heard in my head as I wrote that.) Wish me luck! (You may or may not get to see the finished results, depending on how things turn out.) More later.


4 Comments:
You had me at "bluebirds". :)
It finally struck me... Macy.. as Cinderella? Surely she has some sort of pseudo-goth alterations in mind. Oh, I know... Zombie-rella. Lot's of blood and maybe an eyeball hanging out.
Reminds me of a Leave it to Beaver episode (and I paraphrase):
June: Beaver, you are so cute in your Halloween costume.
Beaver: Aw, mom. I wanted to be scary.
[Wally walks in]
June: Wally, your costume certainly is scary.
Wally: Aw, mom. I wanted to be cute.
I think it was Leave it Beaver... Could have been the Outer Limits.
Good luck with all of that!!
hey wait, didn't the bluebirds and mice do most of the work in Cinderella? sounds like you need some enchanted creatures to help you out.
One thing I have learned from my old age (a-hem) is to hit the post Halloween sale and buy at least two costumes for "in case of emergency" dressing up at the last minute. Most years I want to muster up my creativity, but others I just want whatever is easy. This year I opted for last years sale item, had my choice of Pirate or Feathery Witch - chose the later. It was great to just go to the attic and not to the store.
It's always great to have a costume or two laying around (not bad for the sexy role playing either, ie french maid) **argh, matey, did I actually say that out here...**
Post a Comment
<< Home