Tuesday, January 10, 2006

post-holiday recap

Well, I suppose it’s time that I just write something and put it out here. I’ve been having this mental block lately that has made me feel like I couldn’t write a blog post to save my own life. It started back in early December when, while reading one of my favorite daily blogs, I inadvertently followed a link to a post on another site (caution—read at your own risk) that for some reason had the most profoundly discouraging effect on me. Which is a little strange because: a) I am generally not a person who is easily discouraged, and b) I do not agree with many points that were written in the article. Anyway, I guess it just caught me on a bad day, and combined with the year-end stress of shopping for my youngest daughter’s birthday (which forces me into the stores just after Thanksgiving and thus officially starts my Christmas shopping as well) and work-related problems, it was just…well…a sucky month. The holidays themselves were nice though, better than I had anticipated. Everyone seemed even happier and more appreciative than usual. Score! One of the nice things about the company that I work for (which helps make up for the bazillion hours of mandatory training classes we must endure each year) is that we have an extended holiday from Christmas through New Years, so I had a nice bit of time off (which didn’t turn out to be all that restful, but it felt good to be off anyway). I did manage to see quite a few movies though: King Kong, Munich, Narnia and Hostel. I loved them all (for different reasons, obviously)...and Eric Bana--roooooowwwwrr! New Years Eve was spent back-and-forth between a neighbor-party and chaperoning a teenager-party (which would have been a lot more fun if I were the teenager and not the chaperone... being the chaperone has a way of making you feel like you've aged 100 years all in one night, I've never felt so old!) The last bit of excitement came this past weekend where I spent a good part of the day Sunday in the ER with my son. He had suffered a pretty serious head trauma (I have photos, but they aren't for the squeamish so I shant post them here) so I wanted him to get checked out by a doctor to be sure he was okay. Thankfully he is going to be fine (though they said he did need stitches and would have received them had he followed his mother's advice and gone to the hospital right away--proving yet again that mother is ALWAYS right *smirk*). He was such an entertaining patient, he literally had the poor woman in the next bed giggling in between her cries of pain...from the other side of the curtain we would hear "heheheheh...ooooww....I'm sorry" (for eavesdropping) repeatedly. It was really pretty funny.



5 Comments:

Blogger Lunafish said...

I am SO glad you ar back! I don't care what anyone on the web thinks about what we choose to write about. It seems to keep us all connected and we get some extra friends as well.
Your photo of Ian is great and that is just like him to be making others laugh through the pain.

10 January, 2006 10:57  
Blogger John said...

I was hoping for some Tarantino-esque gore, but as long as you're back among the blogging, I'm happy.

10 January, 2006 11:15  
Blogger Richard said...

Reading the aforementioned infamous blog did not affect me. Many of the opinions he expressed have come to me at some point of other.

People blog for various reasons. While I am sure most like having an audience, I am not sure everyone is interested in necessarily increasing their audience (I know one who runs away whenever her blog starts getting too much attention and sets up a new blog elsewhere - inviting only a few core people back).

You should be thankful you get training classes - many companies don't give any. We get training sessions here too.

Good to hear that you enjoyed your time off (actually, for me time off is always preferrable to time at work - unless I'm out of money :(

10 January, 2006 12:55  
Blogger Anita said...

Yay! I am glad you're back, too! Sorry about Ian's head. Hope it isn't serious!

Happy New Year!

10 January, 2006 18:39  
Blogger joe said...

soooo glad that you've returned; the blog world just isn't the same without you.

As for Barefoot's post, i don't share his opinion at all. I think it's more indicative of the different ways that people use the internet. Another useless study of the obvious® found that men and women use the internet differently : men mostly look for information while women look to communicate. So Barefoot wants information and entertainment out of his blog reading? Some of us just want to communicate and share life's little moments. So keep posting about your cat, the life of a cheerleader mom, glitchy software/hardware, and gashes in Ian's head. We'll keep reading.

13 January, 2006 18:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home