a familiar face
I started to post this photo for last week's SPT. Not that there's anything special about it, but it just so happens (as many of you already know) that last Tuesday was my 43rd birthday and at the time a birthday-SPT seemed like a good idea. But I reconsidered for a few reasons: 1) my arms are evidently not long enough because this photo looks like it was taken with a fish-eye lens...no way is my nose that big (!!!) and something about the shape of my head just doesn't look right; 2) it's always a risky proposition posting any photos that John (and his mad photoshopping skillz) will have access to...you never know where it may end up; and 3) nothing says "getting older" than having to look at close-up pictures of yourself. Ouch! But I've been thinking about this mug of mine lately, and how things are a-changin'. Back when I was in high school, people would often say to me "Hey, you know who you look like? Jodie Foster!" 
(I always wore my hair long and straight and was naturally blonde.) I was always flattered, 'cuz I thought Jodie Foster was pretty cool (plus she was very much a tomboy, like me). When I was in my early 30's, people used to say, "Hey, you know who you look like? Meg Ryan!" (Yeah...in my dreams...but really, they did say this.) So then I was TOTALLY flattered. I always thought Meg Ryan was just adorable, and at the time she was quite popular also, so it's a nice thing to be told you look like someone like that.

Okay, fast-forward to...ahem...a month or so ago. There's this guy...he is a voice coach/piano teacher (and opera singer, I'm told) at the music studio where I take my guitar lessons. So one night I'm sitting outside waiting for one of my kids lessons to end, when this opera-singing piano-teacher dude comes walking out, takes one look at me and stops dead in his tracks: "Hey, you know who you look like?!" I sat there, hesitant to venture a guess. "Joni Eareckson!" I'm like, "Uh...who?" He repeats (enthusiastically): "Joni Eareckson! Then he explains to me that Joni Eareckson was once an olympic-swimmer, who later became a quadriplegic after a serious diving accident, and who now "paints pictures with a paintbrush held between her teeth". The rest of the conversation was just really awkward, as this guy just seemed waaaay too interested in getting to know me. (Unfortunately, I am notorious for not wearing my wedding rings, mostly due to guitar practice, as they tend to get in the way.) So anyway, the next few weeks...the exact same conversation keeps happening over and over. The guy sees me, he shouts: "Joni!!" At this point I decided that he is some kind of obsessed Joni Eareckson fan, so I finally had to look this woman up on-line to see if I really look like her. And to tell you the truth, I just don't see it. Now, I don't know if he means the younger Joni Eareckson, or the more recent Joni Eareckson Tada....but either way, I'm not feeling all that flattered. I finally dropped my kids music lessons which I thought would put an end to all this "Joni! business, but last week, while absent-mindedly strolling down the aisle at the grocery store, guess what I heard from the cart passing next to me? "Joni!" It's just sooooo freaky!!


9 Comments:
Great photo. I agree that I always thought you looked like Meg Ryan but now even Meg doesn't look like Meg Ryan. And poor her having to be so public: Meg Ryan
I do not think that you resemble that Joni lady and I agree that the person delivering the message seems a bit weird. Some people are so socially retarded that they think they are being funny when they are just being rude. Call him out.
That is a great photo of you! Its amazing how much Macy looks like you.
I agree with lunafish on the lack of resemblance. Print an 8 by 10 picture of Joni and shove it his face next time you see him. Other than the close-by cats in the linked picture, you do not look like Joni Freakin Eareckson. I see the Jodi Foster thing, and of course the Meg Ryan thing (circa 1990, before she met her evil plastic surgeon).
When he says "Hi, Joni", you should say "hi, Pile-of-Crap." and inform him you already have a full-time stalker. ;)
I'm sure he means it as a compliment, but...
I once crushed a girl's ego by telling her, in an intended compliment, that she looked like Marlee Matlin (in her Children of a Lesser God glory days). She did not take it well.
Oh, and they have thes wonderful new inventions called a tripod. ;-)
And if Macy would just out-grow he Dw features..
Oh yeah, I could have dragged out the tripod. But then I might have been late to work... BAHAHAHAHA ;)
(Seriously though, the photo was a last-minute idea, just as I was running out the door that morning.)
Since when are *you* concerned with being late to work?
j/k; bygones
(Never quite know when to stop, do I?)
;-)
It is a nice picture – you have nothing to be shy about.
It is always nice to see the face of those with whom we communicate.
I see some resemblance to both Jodi and Meg, but the similarities to Joni are only general morphological ones.
I wear my wedding ring 24/7 – except when I am playing with it (which seems to irritate single women). On the other hand Sofia only puts it on when she goes out – which means that sometimes she forgets it.
Buying our wedding rings was an interesting experience. Sofia was aghast that wedding rings in Canada were only 10, 14 and maybe 18 kt. Not only that, but you had no idea how much gold was in the ring. In Peru, you get your rings made (labour is dirt cheap) and you specify how much gold you want (1g, 2g, 5g, etc) and they will form it into a ring for you. Her siblings all have rings that are 22kt.
great photo indeed. and if i may speak for those readers that have only seen you in a handful of pictures, it's nice to get another glimpse.
as for Joni... no way. my mother made me sit thru the movie when i was a little kid. i think the point was to teach me (more) good(er) Christian morals... or to not jump into the water without checking the depth first... or how to paint with my feet... or what movies might be showing in hell if i were to slip from the path of the righteous.
anyway, no resemblance to Joni. Meg Ryan i can definitely see though.
Gosh, I'm late! First, happy belated birthday!! You DO NOT look like a 40-something. I totally see the Jodi Foster and Meg Ryan resemblance. Joni? I did a book report on her in the sixth grade. But, no way you look like her. What a 'tard!
I was literally stalked for about 8 months by a guy who was obsessed with Rosanna Arquette and thought on some days that I WAS her and other days that I just looked like her. He was totally unhinged. Once he gave me a Polaroid he took of her with Madonna. I don't know how he got that. I was totally scared and kinda, sorta not really that flattered. I mean she was cute once. But when people say I look like Marlee Matlin, I take that as a huge compliment.
Anyway, Love the picture!
I get told I look like Nicolas Cage all the time. I've been told that by total strangers on the street. I even get told that my voice sounds like his. I just don't see it.
Post a Comment
<< Home