my little Belle
Soooooo sleepy.Must..keep..eyes..open.
I was awakened at 3:00am this morning by a whisper in the dark: "Mommy, I feel like I need to throw up." Out of the depths of my coma-sleep, I managed to mumble, "Okay, well...uh...go into the bathroom, okay?" (What a great mom! heheh) Thankfully after a few moments I roused myself to full consciousness and went into the bathroom to, well, hold her hair back away from the bowl (at least) and offer moral support. There has been a stomach-bug going around the school, but I suspected her problem was more likely just something she had eaten earlier (popcorn and soda at the movies, then more caffeinated-soda with dinner despite my protests). Fortunately I was right, and she was only sick the one time before climbing into my bed and falling back asleep, while I stayed awake and kept an eye out for any further "eruptions".
A few weeks ago this same daughter (Lindsey, my youngest) had come down with some sort of flu-bug. That morning when she woke up with a high fever, I immediately took my usual distractionary measures and asked her, "Can I put something on the tv for you to watch?" (while waiting for the ibuprofen to kick in). She feebly answered, "Yes. Beauty & The Beast." Words can't describe how that tugged at my heart. When she was really young, any time she had gotten sick we would lay in bed together and watch Disney's Beauty & The Beast, my most favorite of all the Disney movies. It was just our thing, and it always seemed to make her feel better. But it has been quite a while since those days (so long, in fact, that our copy of Beauty & The Beast is on VHS...heheh).
Now that she is 12-years-old and blossoming into quite the "pre-teen", it feels good every now and then to see that a glimmer of my "little" girl is still there, so I really don't mind waking in the wee hours to hear "Mommy, I feel like I need to throw up." And just this weekend I transferred our VHS copy of Beauty & The Beast onto DVD, just in case she ever feels like watching it.


5 Comments:
Awww...
Harry Potter is my "Beauty and the Beast" for the boy. Me and the girl haven't gottne that far yet.
Although, I am the designated puke catcher in our family. :(
Did you actually a VHS to DVD or did you just go out and buy the DVD?
My kids are partial to things like: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (more Jason) and the Spy Kids movies (more Tania) - but on the whole we have so many videos and DVDs I'm sure they don't even know what we have any more (even I don't - recently bought a second copy of Spiderman).
Sorry to hear Lindsey was feeling under the weather, hope she's better now (BTW, is this the same one who twisted her ankle on the road to God?)
heheh No, this was my younger daughter. My older daughter, Macy, is the one who was injured while praying. ;)
One of my Tivo boxes has a dvd recorder in it, with input you can select from the VCR. We seldom use our VCR any more, so it took some work just to get the thing connected the one time that she wanted to watch it. So I just Tivo'd the video, then burned it to DVD. (I like to think of this as a "legal" backup, since I did purchase and own the original VHS tape, and am simply making the digital copy for sake of matching our current hardware setup.) The resolution was perfect, makes me want to convert all of our old vhs tapes (for the future grandkids ;), but so far it's just sitting on the to-do list. Perhaps someday...
I forgot about the holding back the hair job that comes with being the mom of a little sick one.
Yes, when they are growing up and drifting away the simple moments are so special. Our Disney movie was "Little Mermaid"
I wanna be where the people are
I wanna see
Wanna see 'em dancin'
Walkin' around on those
Whad'ya call 'em?
Oh - feet
Flippin' your fins you don't get too far
Legs are required for jumpin', dancin'
Strollin' along down a
What's that word again?
Street
Up where they walk
Up where they run
Up where they stay all day in the sun
Wanderin' free
Wish I could be
Part of that world
Awwww. I love those moments.
And Beauty and the Beast is the best! I totally felt like Belle growing up. Man, there are some great songs in that movie!
Post a Comment
<< Home