Monday, May 08, 2006

you're FIRED!

Eek! I fired my lawn guy today. I am an extremely non-confrontational sort of person, so telling someone that I am no longer in need of their services is soooo difficult for me (well, that and my big-giant-sense-of-EmpathyTM). I'm proud of myself though. I held my ground and didn't give in when he tried to persuade me to give him a second chance, and I was honest with him about the reasons why I was unhappy with the service he had been providing. (Of course I was really, really nice about it, but he still sounded a bit disappointed.) When I hung up the phone my hands were all shaky and my heart was racing. Blech. I am so not good at this.

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

All that without a comb-over! You are so my hero.

08 May, 2006 15:08  
Blogger Lunafish said...

You go, sister. It gets easier once you do it a couple of times and see that taking care of yourself is a good thing.

08 May, 2006 17:00  
Blogger Richard said...

I agree that dismissing a person can be hard, a lot depends on the reasons.

Someone who is "nice, but not quite meeting expectations" is probably the hardest to get rid of.

Someone who is "a jerk and totally incompetent" is easier.

There is nothing wrong with being a nice person - just, sometimes, you have to stand your ground.

08 May, 2006 17:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home