Wednesday, September 14, 2005

pet peeves....and "whatnot"

Someone was telling me a funny story recently about a conversation they'd had, in which the other party kept repeatedly using the term "whatnot", and how that just happened to be one of their own pet peeves.

I couldn't help but think of that story last night while attending a board meeting for our cheerleading squad. There is this one woman on the board: tall, blonde, with a *deep* Southern accent. She is generally quite friendly, but any time something highly-charged or "political" is brought up (which happens frequently--those cheerleading types are a surly bunch!), she becomes VERY fiery and outspoken. So last night one of those touchy subjects came up, and she flew out of her chair in protest, ending her statement with the words, "PERIOD. NEW PARAGRAPH!!" I've seen her do this many times, and she becomes really animated when she does it--one hand on her hip, the other wildly waving an index finger...then she air-types a period and then flings her hand from right to left, making an air-typed carriage-return! It's one of the funniest things I've ever seen!!

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

"Don't go there!" is my step mom-in-law's signature phrase. :-|

14 September, 2005 11:24  
Blogger joe said...

I'd love to see that, so next time sneak video cam into the meeting for us. It's particularly amusing to me because such a large part of the population has never used a carriage return on a typewriter and probably doesn't immediately understand what she's doing with her hands.

My own current pet peeve is "take it to the next level" which just recently replaced "win-win situation" as most annoying phrase heard in daily conversation.

14 September, 2005 13:43  
Blogger Lunafish said...

I almost spewed coffee from my nose when I read this one since I am the "whatnot" police. I thought I would crack a tooth when my jaw locked following a CNN reporter’s use of "whatnot" on a TV interview. “Whatnot” is like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

My most annoying business phrases are: "human capital” and “value proposition”

14 September, 2005 15:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home