Wednesday, September 14, 2005

stay up late

I love the way music can instantly transport you to another place and time. Just this evening on my drive home from work, the Talking Heads' "Stay Up Late" came on the radio and suddenly I was back in 1985. My little son wasn't much fond of sleeping. And being the young parents that we were, we tended to keep some pretty late hours ourselves. When this song came out, it seemed so appropriate because we were always joking that we wanted to go in and wake him up every time he went to sleep, to get even for all the times we wanted him to sleep and he wouldn't. sigh. The song feels poignant to me now. It's funny how you can miss the things that at one time seemed so difficult.

Mommy had. A little baby.
There he is. Fast asleep.
He's just.
A little plaything.
Why not. Wake him up?
Cute. Cute. Little baby.
Little pee pee. Little toes.
Now he's. Comin' to me.
Crawl across. The kitchen floor.

Baby, baby, please let me hold him
I wanna make him stay up all night
Sister, sister, he's just a plaything
We wanna make him stay up all night
Yeah we do

See him drink. From a bottle.
See him eat. From a plate.
Cute. Cute. As a button.
Don't you wanna make him.
Stay up late.

And we're having fun. With no money.
Little smile. On his face.
Don't cha' love. The little baby.
Don't you want to make him. Stay up late.


8 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Tee-hee...."little pee-pee".

So when do you start sleeping deep again? Without a subconscious ear listening out for your baby in distress?

15 September, 2005 07:12  
Blogger ian006 said...

Alright...there are a few things that leap out at me initially as i'm reviewing this:

1. I dont recall every having animals (stuffed or otherwise), so i believe this photo to be a fraud.

2. If in the event this photograph is authentic, then i OBVIOUSLY have a twin brother and there is some explaining left to be done on YOUR end of the table.

3. I resent the "little pee pee" line. I feel that if we are going to reference me as the alleged person in quesiton, it wouldn't hurt to edit the lyrics for a more practical application. This is defamation of character, and you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

**Denny Krane**

15 September, 2005 08:56  
Blogger ian006 said...

Upon further inspection of the photograph, I have concluded that the person IS, infact, myself.

The Mohawk is a dead give away.

On a side note, i still believe the purple unicorn horse to be a prodcut of photoshop and i refuse to believe otherwise.

Some suppressed memories have started to surface while staring at this post....i believe that bottle contains a blend of Strawberry Quik, NyQuil, and horse tranquilizer (if my memory serves me correctly)...i'm not sure this is ENTIRELY legal, but i feel like you did a pretty good job, despite this little instance, so i think we can overlook it...

(Thanks again for not posting the "Look-at-Ian-playing-with-the-big-rubber-crocodile-in-the-tub-isn't-that-so-cute-picture...kudos.)

15 September, 2005 09:07  
Blogger Lunafish said...

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful wife!

I can't believe you had a "Talking Heads" moment because I had one last night too!!

15 September, 2005 09:58  
Blogger my imperfect offering said...

Oh, my poor little colorblind son...'twas a blue pony, and it was most definitely yours. ;)

I must also comment that in the photograph, it wasn't a rubber crocodile that you were playing with in the bath, but I'd never post *that*. ;) (just kidding...hee hee)

You can be grateful, however, that I didn't post the picture of you riding the giant stuffed lion in the buff. :)

P.S. Have I told you lately how much I love you? Because I most definitely *do*! *kisses* Love, Mom :)

15 September, 2005 11:17  
Blogger pinkpanther said...

awwww.... !`*cute*`!

15 September, 2005 13:24  
Blogger John said...

There, there, little camper. I'm sure the water was cold that day. Haven't these women heard about shrinkage ?!?!?!

15 September, 2005 15:26  
Blogger ian006 said...

I will have you note that I had girls lined up around the PLAYGROUND to share some Quik with me--Irish Curse and ALL!

::makes overcompensating hand gestures::

15 September, 2005 18:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home